Watermelon seeds: They are the whitish/black/brown seeds found inside a watermelon. When roasted, they are served as a nutritional fiber-rich snack
Watermelon seeds are one of the common protein supplements like cotton seeds, groundnut seeds, soybean seeds and rape seeds. Watermelon seeds are cultivated in large quantities in western Sudan. They could be used as a non-conventional animal feed because the availability, low cost and non human feed. Watermelon cake is good source of protein for animal and it is comparable to cotton cake, linseeds cake and neem seeds cake.
The seeds contain a significant amount of fats, iron, proteins and other important nutrients. It contains 8 out of the 9 essential amino acids. It contains arginine which regulates blood pressure and treats coronary heart disease. It also contains niacin which maintains the nervous system , digestive system and skin health and magnesium which regulates blood pressure and has a beneficial effect on blood sugar. Additionally, it contains mono and polyunsaturated fats which help reduce blood cholesterol and reduce high blood pressure.
• According to nutritionists, roasting watermelon seeds creates a crunchy snack filled with various food nutrients which provide a wide array of health benefits.
• One cup of the dried watermelon seeds is said to contain about 30.6 grams of protein, which constitutes about 61 percent of the daily recommended value.
• Rich with amino acids, including tryptophan, glutamic acid, and lysine.
• Watermelon seeds are also loaded with several of the B vitamins which are necessary for converting food into energy and other important bodily functions.
• It Contains Magnesium is which helps in regulating blood pressure. It also contains Other important minerals in watermelon seeds are phosphorous, iron, potassium, sodium, copper, manganese and zinc.
• It contains amount of fat and omega-6 fatty acids which can help in the reduction of high blood pressure.
Production Areas in Sudan:
It is grown in vast areas of land in the western region especially west and north Kordofan.79% from the total area is cultivated where 81% is produced from the net