TMC, FDFC Agree on Transitional Term, Governance Structures

By: Najat Ahmed

Khartoum- The negotiations between the Transitional Military Council (TMC) and the Forces of the Declaration of Freedom and Change (FDFC) have achieved a new breakthrough in its second day by reaching agreement on the sovereignty council, the council of ministers and the legislative body.
Member of the negotiating delegation of TMC Lt. Gen. Yasir Al Atta declared in a joint press conference at the end of the negotiations sitting Tuesday night that the two parties had agreed on a three-year transitional period, where its first six months would be assigned for achieving peace all over the country.
Lt. Gen. Al Atta added that the two parties also agreed that the legislative council shall be formed from 300 members, 67% of them are to be from FDFC, while the remaining 33% would go to the other political forces that are not signatory to the declaration.
He promised reaching a final agreement in the negotiations in less than 24 hours so that the Sudanese people and their Armed Forces would celebrate completion of the victory for realizing the goals of the revolution.
He also affirmed that investigations are underway in the bloody incidents which the sit-in square had witnessed last Monday night.
Member of FDFC delegation Medani Abbas Medani, on his part, said at the press conference that the agreements that have been reached on the structures of governance are considered as important.
He referred to formation by the TMC to an investigation committee on the targeting of the demonstrators besides another joint committee to prevent any possible new attempt.
Leading member of the opposition alliance Sidek Yusuf, on his part, said agreement was also reached on establishment of a security council, stressing that the negotiations had made great progress, considering it as a breakthrough.

You May Also Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *