Editorial: Job Description

The Transitional Military Council (TMC) and the Forces of Freedom and Change (FFC) reached agreement last week on the formation of a joint sovereignty council that would rule for about three years till holding of elections in the country.
According to the agreement the TMC will appoint one of its members as head of the council for the first 21 months after its formation. A civilian will take charge for the remaining 18 months before elections are held.
The social media is full of nominations for the post of the prime minister and ministers of the transitional government.
The transitional government should work hard to to revive the economy, which shrank by 2.3% in 2018 and has only worsened since then.
For this it needs relief for Sudan’s crippling $50bn debt, which will mean first getting the country removed from America’s list of state sponsors of terror.
We believe that before nominating anybody for the position of the prime minister we should recognize that the political arena is overwhelmed by political polarization and latent political competition.
This is clear in the social media outlets which display the bio data of any of the figures nominated for the position of the prime minister including his political background a matter that confuses the public because one of the conditions for the position is that the prime minister should have no political background.
We should also recognize that it is not about the political background, but about the job description.
Whatever the political background of any nominee, the government he will lead is an independent cabinet according to the agreement signed between the TMC and the FFC.
This simply means that his practical conduct and principles are governed by requirements of the transitional period irrespective his loyalty to any political entity.
We propose that any of those who will hold executive positions in the transitional period should not participate in the government which will be formed after the elections to avoid describing his work during the transitional period as political propaganda.
We support the proposal of allocating 60% of the executive positions to youth as they are the makers of the revolution, and the other 40% should be less than 60 years of age.

You May Also Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *